Most webcam sites are dominated by a large number of European and American-based models. As a matter of fact, you will notice that some sites are more popular among models from each region than others. For instance, Chaturbate is a webcam site with a global appeal, meaning it welcomes models from all over the world to join.
However, you will notice that most of the models come from North America especially the US. The site transacts in dollars, which is further proof of its root market base.
On the other hand, Bongacams is a good example of a webcam site which is popular among European models, an aspect which is further solidified by the fact that its transaction currency is the Euro. Overseas models have to compete in a market that is already saturated by European and American models, and they usually have a hard time adjusting to client demands because of a number of barriers.
In the end, their biggest weapon to counter the unfair competition is usually the tag price; they are forced to lower their rates in order to reduce competition and attract more clients. The best thing is that overseas models from places such as Africa, Southeast Asia, and South America can afford to lower their rates without straining their income too much because they live in countries where the cost of living is not so high.
Let’s look at some of the challenges that overseas models have to grapple with in the camming industry:
- Language barrier if you are an overseas model and you register with a site where English is the main medium of communication, you may have a hard time finding clients because you are not able to communicate properly with each other. Since most of the viewers will be communicating on your chat room through English, you will often be left out of conversations and potential bookings from clients may pass you by without even knowing. Language is the key to success in the webcam industry and you will thus have to be multi-lingual in order to survive. You must learn English, French or Spanish because they are the most frequently used languages in camming sites.
- Slow internet connectivity models from developing nations usually struggle a lot with internet connectivity because of poor infrastructure back at home, which eventually affects the quality of their broadcast thus losing out on potential clients. If a client notes that you do not have a strong connection, he will quickly move to the next model and you will lose a lot of clients to competitors.
- Payments most sites do not make direct deposits to overseas banks, which means that payments will usually be transferred to online accounts such as PayPal and the model will then have to find a way to transfer the funds to their preferred account. For the few overseas countries where direct deposits are possible, it usually comes at very high transfer costs meaning that a huge chunk of your earnings will be lost to transfer charges. Delays are also common during transfer of funds to overseas banks and models are forced to wait 5 to 10 days before they can access their earnings which eventually discourages a lot of people.
- The Webcam Model Industry: Incline or Decline? - February 25, 2017
- Webcam Models Who Are Parents - October 24, 2016
- What Life is Like for a Webcam Model - October 24, 2016